What can I do as a consumer to protect myself from foodborne illness?

As a consumer, you can help reduce your risk of contracting a foodborne illness by becoming familiar with proper food handling, preparation, and storage measures. To learn more about this topic read the pages on Food Safety or one of the many sites listed in Resources on this website, or visit

What can I do to help make our food supply more safe?

You can play an important role in helping to keep our food supply safe by contacting your legislators and encouraging them to strengthen current food safety laws and pass new laws to protect consumers.

Organizations known for their work in this area include Consumers Union and the Center for Science in the Public Interest.

Are there currently food safety legislative issues that I need to know about?

S.3128, known as the National Uniformity for Food Act, was the subject of a U.S. Senate hearing on June 27, 2006. Its companion bill H.R.4167 was passed in the House of Representatives in March of 2006. Supporters of this legislation claim that the bill will bring about uniformity between Food and Drug Administration regulations and state laws. However, consumer groups, and an increasing number of political leaders, disagree.

According to the Consumers Union, this bill will inhibit states’ ability to keep milk, seafood and most other food safe by nullifying many state food safety or labeling laws that are not "identical" to federal law, including state laws that deal with problems the federal government doesn't even address. They also report that more than 200 laws in all 50 states would be wiped out. To take part in their “contact your senator” campaign, visit and click on Not In My Food.

Free Case Evaluation

If you or a family member has suffered from food poisoning, and you have a question about your legal rights, you can request a free case evaluation from our New Brunswick law firm by clicking on free case evaluation. You may also contact us toll free at 1-877-934-6274.

Free Case Evaluation

    Submitting this form does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not include any confidential or sensitive information in this form. This form sends information by non-encrypted email, which is not secure.